Thursday, September 18, 2008

There is Spanish then there is Spanish...

As I've mentioned in previous posts, Anna and I are taking Spanish Classes at the University of Alcala. Prior to coming to Spain all of our exposure to the Spanish has been Latin American Spanish, and in some ways there are some huge differences.

If your familiar with Spanish then you know that Spanish verbs conjugate like this:

Beber (to Drink)
Yo Bebo (I Drink)
Tu Bebes (You Drink)
El/Ella/Usted Bebe (He/She/ Drinks)
Nostros Bebemos (We Drink)
Usted Beben (They Drink)

There is also another tense that we use in the Southern US all the time but is very rarely used in Latin America but is often used in Spain. It is Vosotros form. Going back to our example it looks like this:

Beber (to Drink)
Yo Bebo (I Drink)
Tu Bebes (You Drink)
El/Ella/Usted Bebe (He/She/ Drinks)
Nostros Bebemos (We Drink)
Vosotros Bebeis (Ya'll Drink)
Usted Beben (They Drink)

Then add to that, many words we learned from our Lain American Spanish are not the same!
Coche - Car
portatil - Laptop
Ordenador - Desktop Computer

And this one really threw me! Torta in LA Spanish is Cake... here in Spain... it means Slap! I'm sure glad I didn't walk into a Pasteleria and order the Mocca Torta to go!

No comments: